Friday, January 30, 2015

Lectio Divina: The first attempt.

God was funny today.  He likes having “told you so” jokes at my expense.

I am listening to a Spiritual Theology class by Dr. Brant Pitre.  He finally has me convinced that I need to study scripture every morning.  So, finally, I actually do it.  My wife and I set our alarms for 30 min earlier than usual.  We got up and read today’s gospel (not together).  It wasn’t very long, so I just read the whole chapter (Mark 4).  For the past week, I have been hearing Dr. Pitre liken meditating on scripture to that of the parable of the sower.  If you don’t meditate on scripture, your soul will be like the path, the rocky soil, or the thorns.  Do you know what Mark chapter 4 is?  Yep… The sower.  I actually laughed out loud when I opened the bible.

The joke didn’t end there.  Yesterday I was telling my wife about how the Church uses the hemorrhaging woman to “define” the Sacraments:  Power that flows forth from the body of Christ.  I said yesterday, “I don’t remember where that is in the bible, I will have to go find it.”  One of the footnotes from Mark 4 talked about how Jesus followed the mustard seed parable with 4 miracles.  So, I flipped the page to see what they were.  Sure enough, there was the hemorrhaging woman.  I lol’ed again.  Needles to say, I think he hooked me into this morning lectio divina thing. I probably read too much for a lectio divina, but I’m still figuring out exactly how these 4 steps work (read, meditate, pray, contemplate).  It was good either way.

No comments:

Post a Comment